POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where to start? : Re: Where to start? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where to start?
From: Augur
Date: 13 Jul 2005 21:24:29
Message: <42d5becd@news.povray.org>
"David Nash" <dbn### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Ross wrote:
>> "Augur" <notgivingitoutyet> wrote in message
>>>Any help you can offer is much appreciated!!
>
>> http://www.wikipov.org/ is a collection of stuff from mostly people that
>> hang around here i think. But I'd first recommend the tutorials in the
>> documentation.
>
> I want to second this.  I picked up POV-Ray several years ago and just
> jumped in.  I looked around the net for tutorials and just didn't get very
> far.
>
> This year I actually worked through the documentation page by page,
> rendering the examples and making changes to see what it did.  It is much
> easier for me to complete a good image now.

Yeah, I've been going through that documentation in my free time at work (3
yrs of Computer Engineering so far, and all I'm given by my co-op employer
is 3-4 hours of AutoCAD work each day, if that).  Seriously, if anyone is
looking for a good Computer Engineer in a year or so, I'm actually looking
for a job where I do meaningful work all 8 hours of the day!

Anyways, enough with the not-quite-shameless plug for a job...

I'm up to the beginning of the Advanced tutorial, and I'm definitely happy
with the level of detail/experience the tutorials offer (if you type it all
in yourself rather than copying and pasting all the code).

Thanks for the advice--if you come across any more good beginner
tutorials/docs, please post them!!

--Augur